Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Crunching Numbers: Distances

Hey guys, it's that nagging voice; Bill again. Please let me know if these are annoying or bring absolutely no value to you because I'll stop lol. I am literally writing this in the Facebook post box so if I ramble, make no sense, or could have written this much better it is because I'm spitballing here.
Psst, use a fucking tape measure! 

I am doing some thinking tonight about the numbers that we commonly "crunch" when we are developing lists. For years I have really only had to worry about hit chances, wound chances, saves, modifiers blah blah blah but with 6th edition we have a unique and new opportunity for a whole new set of numbers to crunch: Distances!!! This is all thanks to a handy new thing called pre-measuring. Sure; guessing distances in 2-5th edition was an art form but now its math. 

Lets start with list design; think of these distances at the various deployment types when designing lists. A great example is the new and fancy missile broadsides; ask yourself if you can stay out of 42" (out of 36" if you don't mind eating the overwatch) and still be effective? A huge mistake can be designing your list only with dawn of war in mind. That is only 1/3 of your deployment types. I never really thought about deployment types when I was designing an army until I made my Eldar bike army. The bike army performs best in vanguard and hammer and anvil so now I am going in with an advantage against most in all but dawn of war. 

The second of course is thinking of these distances during game play. I already mentioned gauging distances of threats but make sure you are using this knowledge for not only current threats but future. Lets talk again about my bikes; or anything in general that is terrified of the mighty heldrake. If I fight three heldrakes on dawn of war it is going to be a very rough game but take those same three and if I play them on hammer and anvil they really aren't all that scary. Think about it for a minute; it is easy to think that a heldrakes threat is 56" (36"move, 12" torrent, 8" template). In hammer and anvil I can keep myself at that 57-72" band from their board edge or maybe even have a tempting target in the path to bring those heldrakes forward but they won't be able to do any significant damage. I than turbo boost my whole army past them and they are going to have to hover if they want to flame me next turn. 

I know what you are thinking; perfect world! Distances are absolute. In a game with few fixed things (Damn you diiiiiiice!!) take advantage of these. When your opponent hands you their list; don't look at the terrain look at their threat ranges and what you have to stay safe from. Any good terrain is a bonus from there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment