Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Space Marines: A Review



I am very excited about this post because it is my first Codex review on the blog. You guys have read a million of these, have your own ideas, and lets be honest have much better things to be doing than spending hours on a 40k blog so I am going to hit on, in my opinion, the major talking points of the book, what I like, and what I dislike about it. 

Chapter Tactics

The chapter tactics mechanic in this book were very obvious to be the one thing that was going to make or break this codex in every aspect of the 40k universe. You can only change a Space Marine so much and add so many units before they really aren't Space Marines anymore so these chapter traits needed to be fluffy to the chapter, keep each chapter on level ground with each in power level, make the book interesting, and hopefully make the book competitive. 

Before the book came out I saw two possible outcomes here; there would be one chapter that is way better than the others leading to one obvious build or they all came up short and the book was a stinker. GW blindsided me here with a moment reminiscent of Dumb and Dumber: "Just when I think you can't get any dumber, you TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

With less than one page of rules GW took all of their major chapters and not only made them all valid choices but also made them fluffy and true to their chapter, have no obvious chapter choice over another, and make the bonuses significant enough that a clear direction for that chapter was clear. Within minutes of reading the chapter tactics ideas rushes through my head of  different armies that could be valid with each ruleset: 

Iron Hands with their 'It will not die' on vehicles could do a badass and devastating Storm Raven heavy force, Salamanders drop pod armies, grav heavy white scars bike armies, etc. All tasty, all valid, all with their own distinct flavor. 
Chapter Master
This dude, is an unadulterated, unrelenting badass. He is super cheap, can unlock bikes as troops, and be tooled out with relics to be a murder machine, uber tank, or great support character there is not much else to say other than ally with another chapter and take 2! T5 with 4 wound eternal warrior and 2+,3++ with it will not die and a 6+ FNP? Sign me up! Chapter tactics can take his utility even further. Oh yeah and a once per game str 10 AP1 orbital bombardment. 

Tigurious
Lets face it; he deserves his own section. I am not even going to talk about librarians because they are going the way all other psykers have; cheap psykers, they are all the same. Tigerious however checking in at 165 is just absurd. He is the re-roll king; move aside Fateweaver. Tigurious is a level 3 who can re-roll his psychic powers when generating them meaning you can basically count on that clutch power pretty darn close to 100% of the time. He can also reroll failed psychic checks and did I mention he is 165 points? I did?! Well I'm saying it again.

Cheap Troops
ZOMG their troops are cheap. While that is obviously a fantastic thing; it really is still just depressing how difficult they are to get where they need to go (Rhinos are still shit) and in the days of warriors in night scythes, even cheaper kroot that can really go where everywhere they want, and Eldar Jetbikes the lowly tactical marine and scout are still kinda meh and I was really hoping to see more.

Land Speeder Storm
Before the book I was actually a fan of the storm for nothing else than it was a transport that scoring units could outflank in. The better news; they are 5 points cheaper, are a dedicated transport, and get a heavy flamer for free. I really think people will still glance over them but tI wahey are worth a look depending on the build you are going with. My marine list has two. 

Heavy Support Centurions:
I know they are getting alot of flakk for being pricy but I actually like this unit alot with grav cannon and amp. Yes they are expensive but it is one of those units that you absolutely have to kill and those are always worth a look. These guys will erase MCs with decent armour saves and do similar things to units like broadsides. Yes they are 24" range and expensive but throw a unit of three of these units in a Storm Raven, Drop pod or even a Land Raider and you have options and in my opinion they are good ones. I can imagine this unit doing wonders in an alpha strike pod list. 

Bikes
When combined with the White Scars chapter tactics and Khan these guys unfortunately straight up out Ravenwing, Ravenwing. At base cost they are 6 points cheaper, have better close combat characters, better weaponry with the relentless grav guns and all the same special rules.

Command Squad
  I was not going to mention anything until this errata came out today. The errata took this unit and elevated them to amazing. Going back to drop pod salamanders this unit can rock 5 twin linked flamers or melta guns for super cheap....Sexy! 

Well guys; that is stuff that immediately jumped out at me. I am sure I left some awesome stuff out. Please feel free to comment below and ask my opinion or add your thoughts on some other units or about the ones that I have posted here! 


6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Tigurius Bill, he's the new Coteaz only better. His downside being having to take the one use Ultramarine tactics with him but they're not that bad.

    I'm wanting to try out the Centurions, but unless you're planning on hiding them in a bastion or in ruins for defense you need a Land Raider or Storm Raven to get them within 24 inches of what you want dead as unfortunately they can't take a drop pod (that would be SOO good) 250 points for 15 AP2 shots, re-rolling to wound and being able to glance a LR to death has potential i want to test out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid call on the drop pod mate. My fault for assuming. I am really a big fan of this unit the damage potential is just awesome. It is also tough to shift, requires attention and can easily make its points back.

      Delete
  2. I agree with what he has said a lot. An idea I been tossing around for Devastator Centurions is take a Dark Angel Ally Librarian throw a Power Field on him and just take the Divination Primaris power. You got T5 2W 3+/4++ Guys who reroll to hit and to wound for Roughly 345 points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Bill, you've left me wanting a whole lot more. This article demands a follow up / part 2.

    1) What do you think of the Assault Centurions? I've been hearing VERY mixed things about them. People that seem to really know what they're doing like them a lot, people that have a general understanding of the game seem to think they suck.

    2) How do you like the new tanks? Do they have any use as they stand now? I've heard they're really cheap, are they cheap enough to take in an effort to blast FMCs, Helldrakes, Necron flyers, Waveserpents, and the likely rise in popularity of Landspeeders and Stormravens?

    3) Sternguard got a lot of love over the week I took preorders and continue to be the best seller after release. I've heard nothing but great things about the kit and the rules. What's your take on them? Do they fit into any of the lists you think might do well?

    4) Vanguard? They don't seem to be super popular and I'm pretty sure I've only sold kits to Templar players. The models look awesome, but I wonder if they have a legitimate place in tournament type lists...

    5) You left us without an overall opinion on the codex as a whole! We definitely need a part 2!!

    Bonus Round) I'm sure I'm not alone when I wonder what new Space Marine lists look like. I'm not sure you want to get into posting all sorts of lists, but I think it would be especially cool and beneficial if you could post up what you think a solid list might look like for each chapter.

    So yeah... 2 more blog articles, please!

    -Chase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your whole post here Chase. There is a lot more to be said and it will be said. This was the units that jumped out at me initially as useful but I feel like I could adequately answer all of your questions as to my opinions. Look forward to something soon.

      Delete
  4. FYI - the chance for Tigurius to get a specific power he is looking for is only 75%, if you are going balls-out just to get that 1 power. Yeah, not as high as what I was expecting either before I did the math. I mean, he's still great... just not a lock to get that 1 killer power you need.

    ReplyDelete